August 11, 2009  

Posted by Amber

From Promontory, we headed out to Ogden where we stayed at the Days Inn. It was kind of cool, they had an indoor pool that was sort of in an atrium idea. Our room was on the second level and faced the pool. Only downside, there were no windows to air out the stuffy chlorine smell! That night, we went to Café Rio and picked up some dinner. I then spent a good while reading some more of The Beckham Experiment. Matt was wanting it, and I knew he would need entertainment, but since we got his car back (I can't drive stick), I had been reading it aloud to him.
On our actual anniversary, we woke up and headed down to breakfast in the lobby. After which, we packed our things and checked out. We left the Days Inn at Ogden to go to the zoo. We were going to go to the Dinosaur Park, but Matt decided it would probably be lame, and this way, we wouldn't have to rush from one thing to the next. It had actually been about two years since I had been to the zoo, since our honeymoon. First, though, we had to stop somewhere to get batteries for the camera. We asked Matt's phone where a Walmart was, and it didn't lead us to the right spot. Instead, we found a Smith's. We then asked the phone how to get to the zoo from where we were, and it led us down alongside the mountains. (We passed a Walmart a few blocks later.) True to form, there was construction, so we were slow moving heading toward I-15. I suppose it was a good thing we didn't go to the Dinosaur park.
We did eventually make it to the zoo. It was so much fun! They had so many babies! Golden Lion Tamarin twins, six or seven Meerkats, a Snow Leopard, and a Giraffe! Babies are so cute! Now we're just waiting for the baby Elephant to come play! Matt really liked the Fossa at the Madagascar exhibit, too. I try to make it a tradition to go to the bird show (because I love it!), but we were late, so we stood at the fence on top to watch. I miss them doing the falconry demonstartion. That was my favorite! The birds seemed to be inattentive, even Poco messed up his routine. The owl wanted extra flight time, and the little birds that run across the stage doing a funky wing pose were even struggling. It was still fun, though!

This poor guy has a little cast on his leg.
Baby Golden Lion Tamarins!
Fossa!
Matt at Elephant Encounter.
These naughty squirrels were stealing all the sunflower seeds for the wild birds. They would even climb in the zoo's bird cages to forage for more. Greedy buggers. :) Wouldn't be complete without a bird picture. Baby Meerkats!
Just chillin'
Mama and baby Snow Leopard!
Baby Giraffe! Red Panda Penguins Zebras It was too hot for the bears, too. Gorrilla Nope, I'm not an Orangutan. Both the Gorilla and Orangutan size comparisons had the additions for the various stages of life and sexes.

After the zoo, we headed home. Matt opted to drive straight to Payson, where we picked up Bhuvan. We were going to do the rest of our laundry too. (I had left our towels, sheets, Matt's lightweight riding jacket, and his white hoodie at my parents'.) However, when we got to my parents' we found my step-mom had done our sheets and towels, so we decided to bring it all home and do it this weekend instead.

That was our trip. We were sorely in need of a getaway. It makes me hope Matt gets this Primerica business up and going so we can have a lot more freedom to take trips like this in the future - along with having no set time constraints per se. Oh the joyous thought of not having to work! I really want to take a week off next summer to visit Dave and Natalie again ;) Afterall, Matt needs to see Yellowstone properly. But then again, there are other places he needs to see still (Grand Canyon, anyone?), and I really want to visit Mesa Verde again. Looks like we have lots of travels ahead of us!

No trip is complete without a picture of Bhuvan in the car. :)

This entry was posted on Monday, August 17, 2009 at Monday, August 17, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment