I'd talked to a couple of my American friends about Thanksgiving plans. I wasn't sure what we would do for certain, but I knew I wanted as traditional of a feast as possible. Fortunately for us, the McMillens decided to host American Thanksgiving at their house in La Molina. We were assigned a dessert, so Matt made Kill You Brownies (Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies are what Betty Crocker calls them :)) We'd never driven to La Molina before during the week, only on Sundays for church. We knew it could take 2 hours, so we opted to leave an hour early. We actually got there in about 45 minutes, and that included getting a wee bit lost. Good thing Matt called a taxi driver (the ones you call or use through Easy Taxi typically have GPS in their cars). We were able to use the GPS to find out where the heck we were going :)
We hung out for awhile chatting while Abby and Rob finished up some aspects of dinner and waited for other guests to arrive. Henlie hung out with their girls. She did their stairs like a champ. It was a little nerve wracking for me when she wanted to come down the stairs, but she steadied herself on the glass railing and made it down just fine.
We also played in the common area a bit. Henlie found some scooters and a trike and wanted to play with those. There was also a trampoline and a little swingset. Henlie played on the swings a little, but she didn't last long. And she refused to go down the slide.
We chatted with the Adamses, Wells, and Storers when they arrived, and we had yummy traditional food. I was very pleased. And hungry lol. And the turkey was so moist! I don't know if it was because it is so humid here or what they did to cook it, but I quite enjoyed the white meat - this coming from the girl who always goes for dark because it is more moist and the white is usually pretty dry.
Poor Henlie has been having tummy troubles since about week 2. *TMI WARNING* She was constipated for about a week, and when she finally got over that, her diaper rash got quite bad. Then, she tried to not go. Which basically created more constipation. Needless to say, she was grumpy and I was upset and we were going through diapers so often. She'd try not to go, but still get some poop smeared on her bum, so we'd have to clean it. Her body knew she had to go, so while I'm trying to clean her up and get Desitin on her, she's still pushing just a little, even though she was trying not to, which would just make it so I had to use another wipe. And then her rash would bleed. By 4pm, I was ready to go home. We pulled Matt away from his soccer game, and he called the taxi guy back. Unfortunately, taxi man had some other clients who had pushed back, so he was no longer available to take us home. We hung out for a little while. The Adamses offered to drop us off somewhere we could pick up a taxi. By the time we were going to be waiting somewhere, though, I opted to have some leftovers for dinner.
The Adamses left. Henlie eventually started to feel better, and so we were able to enjoy the party. We chatted with Abby McMillen and Kathy Storer for awhile after the Wells had also gone home. We tried to get on Easy Taxi to find a taxi as it was getting later, but we couldn't get on the McMillen's internet. Abby tried to use her Easy Taxi, but it didn't work. So, the Storers offered to take us somewhere we could pick up a taxi. However, they were very generous and opted instead to drop the family off, and then Rob Storer drove us out to San Isidro to our house. We got home maybe around 9pm.
So, we live on a main road (which was a terrible plan, by the way. So loud.) And it gets stopped up all the time. Plus, remember how driving here is horrendous?!? I'm really surprised there aren't more accidents. Seriously. Anyway, Rob figured it was late enough it shouldn't be too bad. And out to our house really wasn't that bad, but going back out to La Molina looked so bad. I felt bad Rob decided to bring us all the way home. Very grateful, but I still wonder how long it took him to get home.
All in all, aside from the hour or two Henlie was not feeling well and being a grump, we had a lovely evening. The food was so yummy. We got to meet more people from our ward. We played in the common area. Matt played a couple of games of soccer. I had fun chatting with the girls. Kathy brought some English books over for Abby's girls since her girls had outgrown them. Abby let us look through and pick some out, too. We picked two, If You Take a Mouse to School, and a Winnie the Pooh book. (Henlie loves her Piglet, but she'd never actually seen or read Winnie the Pooh, to my knowledge. She could have at Grandma's house, but I wouldn't know that :)) I kind of regretted not picking a couple more because those were the only two books she wanted to read always for like two weeks. I was so sick of them lol
Matt opted to take Black Friday off as well, so we got a long weekend with him. While we missed visiting with family, (Literally. We were out so late we didn't know they wanted to video call. By the time we got home to some internet, no one answered our calls :)) we had a great time making some new friends and enjoying the warm La Molina weather.
And I'm really glad I didn't have to try and figure out a turkey dinner for 2.5 people in a foreign country :)




