K, this is a little late, but I don't really care :) So last week was Pioneer Day (the 24th of July). Per usual, we had to do parades. On the 23rd, we did the Bountiful parade. It is officially the second worst parade we do (the first being Nephi). It's just a tad too long, starts at 6 in the evening (at which point it has NOT cooled down one bit), and has evil parade nazis (of the non-police variety). You see, they have people along the route with signs telling you to speed up or slow down. I'd like to see them try to speed up in blazing heat, wearing wool, and trying to still play bagpipes. I'd even hold their sign to give them a chance to try it. ;)
On the 24th, we do the Spanish Fork parade - which, incidentally, is one of the best parades. It's medium length and starts at 9am. Bless the fact we don't go to Salt Lake for Days of '47. I hear that one's a killer!
So after the parade, we went home and showered and got un-icky! Then we went to my cousin's house for a barbeque. It was nice to chat with some of the extended fam. I don't really see some of my aunts like I used to when mom was alive. We took Matt's motorcycle down, which was fun. Everyone was pretty impressed with it. We left before the "birthday party" part. One of my cousins and I think an uncle have birthdays around this time, so they brought a cake. I stopped at work for about an hour, and then we mostly hung out at our house until evening.
Come evening, we went over to Grandma Wilson's to watch fireworks. That's is one of two things I don't understand. Why do people watch fireworks and why do people go to parades? I don't understand. At first we watched the kids playing with sparklers - not very exciting. Then we watched some boring standard street fireworks. Later, Steven brought out some of his $100 to $200 street fireworks - those were fun. And of course, true to form, we shot off a couple illegal fireworks throughout the evening. These were all from previous Wyoming trips years ago, so they're kind of old. This proved to be a slight problem with the last one.
It looked like a tube with propellers on one end. The idea is it flies in the air and then goes ka-boom. Well, being rather old, it hovered above the ground and made its way up the driveway, near where we were sitting. So we scatter. As it comes up to the corner of the house, it finally goes up about one story - then it shoots off. We were lucky - but it's thing like that which make fireworks fun. That and running from the cops (not this year, but a few years back :) ).
To top off our holiday week - Matt's work party was on Saturday. Not very exciting (never is), but we did run into an old friend. Her husband apparently is a teller at another branch. So we sat with them and had our lunch. After lunch and talking (we chatted with some others from Matt's branch once they came), we went to Target to look at TVs, mostly because I was bored. (It was also boredom that initiated Bhuvan's arrival.) Afterwhich, we headed to Provo Towne Centre because Wells Fargo always reserves a theatre for something recent. In this case, we went to Batman. I must say - it was a tad long, and wasn't spectacular. Of course, there were some cool things. After all, I am a sci-fi fan. But it lacked the consistency of amazingness for me to be utterly swept away. Matt sorta felt the same. However, he blamed it on the hype we've read on facebook and been told by friends who'd already seen it. I think that I would've felt the same regardless. But hey - it was free!
That night, we chilled with Bhuvan for awhile, and then went back up to Target and purchased ourselves a 32" Sony Bravia LCD HDTV. Oh happiness! We've been considering for awhile, and accruing Target gift cards to offset the cost. It's so nice- I can read the words on the 360 games, and figure out which button they are telling me to push! (trigger and bumper symbols look an awful lot alike on a smaller, nonHD tv.)
So that's our festive week in a rather large nutshell.
This entry was posted
on Wednesday, July 30, 2008
at Wednesday, July 30, 2008
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
comments feed
.
