General Conference: Saturday Afternoon  

Posted by Amber

So I fully intended to blog a snippet of what I thought and liked after each session.  I started on Saturday morning's, but I had to do things to get ready for family pictures at 5:30.  However, I decided to still blog by session - I can talk a little bit more about what I liked in each session this way.  So, now for Saturday afternoon:

Elder Oaks talked about God's love and God's law.  I like that he said we cannot be separated from God's love.  We can, of course, choose to ignore this fact, but that doesn't stop God from loving us and reaching out to us.  I really liked his application to parenthood.  Parents should model God's plan.  Love doesn't excuse us from following law.  He talked about the fine line that must be drawn when children go astray.  Can a parent love their child, but not allow the drugs their addicted to into their home (for example)?  He also reminded us that "Whom the Lord loveth, he chasteneth."  I'm sure any of you who have kids would agree that you've had to be the "bad cop" because you love your children and want to keep them safe, even though your kids may not have seen it that way.

Elder Hales talked about the true nature of God and Christ.  I thought it interesting that he mentioned Joseph didn't know Heavenly Father and Jesus when they came to him until Heavenly Father introduced them, because Joseph didn't know that God and Christ had bodies.  He made the point that we can't really come unto Christ and God unless we know them, and to know them is to know of their characteristics.  I liked that he said they feel for us too.  Again, he brought up feeling and recognizing the Spirit, along with creating an environment where he can dwell.  If we seek Christ in humility and with sincerity and diligence, we will know that He lives.

From Jorge F Zeballos - I liked that grace is available after all we can do.  I think that stood out because it's the same concept as in my favorite scripture in the Book of Mormon, Moroni 10:32-33
"Yea, come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness, and love God with all your might, mind and strength, then is his grace sufficient for you, that by his grace ye may be perfect in Christ; and if by the grace of God ye are perfect in Christ, ye can in nowise deny the power of God.
And again, if ye by the grace of God are perfect in Christ, and deny not his power, then are ye sanctified in Christ by the grace of God, through the shedding of the blood of Christ, which is in the covenant of the Father unto the remission of your sins, that ye become holy, without spot."

Another plain and precious truth was highlighted by Tad R Callister, that God is unchanging and He still talks to us today.  He also cautioned to not lose the many things you do know over the few things you don't.  The truths of the gospel are plain and simple.  To get lost in the scientific details and discredit something because science hasn't caught up yet would be a very sad thing, indeed.

I really liked Kent D Watson's talk.  Mostly because he helped me know that we're not in a position to buy a home right now.  He talked about temperance and patience.  Through self-mastery and control, we become stronger and better able to protect ourselves against sin.  He said that peace of mind, security, and happiness don't come from buying a home or possessions for which the debt incurred is greater than our savings. (That right there told me it's okay to live here another couple years where we know we can afford to live and even have some extra to get out of debt, rather than to buy the 95K condo that I wasn't in love with, but would guaranty the tax credit and a place of our own.  Rather, it's better to get out of some of our debt and be in a position to rely on ourselves when we buy a home, and not the government.  Not to mention, not be totally sure even with the tax credit that we'd be able to afford to live month to month.  See? Prayers ARE answered :) )

Elder Anderson again talked about love and chastisement, and how we all need to repent.  He said there are many degrees of righteousness and worthiness, and we all need repentance.  "Repentance is turning away from some things, and turning toward other things.  It is returning to God.... The Lord tells us in our minds and our hearts what we need to change.  We then are allowed to choose what we do."  I really liked that.  Oftentimes we know what we should be doing, it then becomes a matter of doing it.  He asked, "Do we pull the shades down on our window to Heaven?"  Heavenly Father and Jesus are always there, reaching out, pleading with us to change our hearts and lives and come to them.  Do we ignore them and try it our own way?  He said that repentance should be a daily thing.  As long as we are trying, we are making progress.  We may not always see it until we reach a hill and can look back at our progress.  We should never lose hope.  There is always greater happiness ahead.

Elder Packer taught that we are a part of the Plan of Happiness.  A lot of times I've heard it and viewed it as sort of the blueprint, I guess.  Never so much that I have a role within it.  I suppose it's kind of like a play.  The outline is written and we know the general outcome, but who will be where and how they get there is up to the players.  I suppose it wouldn't be right to leave out the symbolism he used.  He taught that we should invent a delete key in our minds to get rid of bad thoughts or temptations.  I've heard "hum your favorite hymn," but I liked how he said maybe your delete key would be a key word or phrase from your favorite hymn - not necessarily having to be the whole thing.  I think that would be easier to implement :)  I absolutely loved the story of the little girl whose brother made a trap to catch sparrows.  She really didn't want him to set it, but, of course, he did anyway.  So she went and prayed really hard about it.  Then she went to her house and told her mom that she knew he wouldn't catch any sparrows.  When her mom asked how she knew, she replied, "I prayed about it.....then I kicked the trap to pieces!"  What a great story! We can't expect to be given answers without first contemplating our situations and "studying them out in our minds."  I also liked that we can sustain people through prayers.  This, of course, followed by a request to pray for President Monson and his family.  All of our leaders, church and state, need our prayers to strengthen and guide them.

This entry was posted on Monday, October 5, 2009 at Monday, October 05, 2009 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment