With New Year's Day being on a Sunday, the Hadfield family bowled on New Year's Eve. We went to an alley in Lehi that is fairly new. It was a lot of fun. We played two games, and even though I did alright both times, my consistency paid off and I .... won? took second? ugh, I need to blog more frequently.... anyway, I did really well with the combined score over both games :) After bowling, we had pizza at Laurie's. We didn't stay terribly long because we had to make it back to Provo where Curtis and Jackie were putting on a small recital of music by Franz Liszt.
Since this wasn't a recital put on for school, we could stall waiting for us and then waiting for Melody's car to arrive...and then find the room :) It was the first time I'd gotten to hear Jackie play in person. She's amazing :) So, apparently 2011 marked the 200th birthday of the Hungarian-born composer. Jackie just returned from a mission to Hungary, and there have been celebrations of all sorts all year. She really wanted to put on one, so on the last day of the year, she and Curtis were able to perform some of Liszt's music for friends and family. It was very good, and very cute :) Matt and I both expected Curtis to pull out a ring... but he disappointed us :)
Later that evening, we attended a party at our friends Joe and Susan's house. We played games, ate yummy food, and caught up with friends. Because we're old and boring (and I had to finish sharing time stuff for Sunday), we left early. At home, I created an awesome CTR shield for primary, and we watched The Big Bang Theory (love that show!). We heard some fireworks go off and figured it must be midnight, but when we checked the clock, it was 12:30am. Our neighbors fail. :)
Right, so on New Year's Day, being Sunday, we had church. I was in charge of sharing time, and since January had 5 weeks, we decided to do an introduction to theme on the first week. (In case you're wondering, the theme for 2012 is Choose the Right :)) My idea was short in terms of time it ended up taking, but the kids had fun, and I bonded with one of the boys in senior primary over it :)
First, I talked about what it means to choose the right and why we should do it. Then I pulled out my shield, and we talked about the function of a shield (protection). Then we made the connection that choosing the right protects us from temptation and sin. To demonstrate, I had one child hold the shield while I shot "temptation" darts (nerf darts :)) at them. I had the other kids tell me some temptations they might be faced with, and those were what they had to "choose the right" to protect themselves from. They thought it was awesome. Matt also thoroughly enjoyed telling people I shot the kids in primary :)
My awesome CTR shield (cardboard, tin foil, permanent marker, and yarn)
Being Sunday, we went to Matt's parents' house for dinner, where we were joined by Jason and Camile, and Jackie and Curtis :) We decided that we should go do something since Jason wasn't really able to celebrate his birthday going bowling. I miraculously had Monday off due to a lot of projects not running, and we invited Jackie and Curtis to hang out with us too. We decided on miniature golfing.
Monday afternoon, we headed over to Jason and Camile's, and Matt checked out Skyrim on the Xbox, and we all chatted. Then we met up with Curtis and Jackie at Trafalga to go golfing. It was crowded! We had lots of fun, however. It was also nice to get to know Jackie a little better :)
Jackie and Curtis
Jason and Camile
Matt and Me :)
After golfing, we split up for dinner. We decided to use our Christmas giftcards, but Curtis didn't have the same gift cards as the married couples :\ So they went off to do their thing, and we had a nice double dinner date at Olive Garden. The food was tasty (as usual, because I ordered my favorite dish :)) and the company was awesome.
After dinner, we headed back to Jason and Camile's house where we talked some more and waited for Jackie and Curtis to come over for dessert. We had brought our "Achmed" brownies over. Jackie is off of chocolate, though. Fortunately, Jason and Camile had some pie left over, which Jackie happily enjoyed. It was entertaining to me to listen to our conversations... talking about money and homes, and baby preparations. I wonder what was going through Jackie and Curtis's minds.... ah well. That's what happens when you get married :)
We had an awesome New Year's weekend thanks to family and friends. What a great way to ring in the new year!
This entry was posted
on Monday, January 30, 2012
at Monday, January 30, 2012
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
comments feed
.
