1 Month  

Posted by Amber

Yes, I know I haven't posted the birth story just yet - but as today is Henlie's one month birthday and I'm at the computer, I figured it would be more appropriate to write about that.  Birth story is coming soon...promise!

Wow - one whole month has already gone by since we welcomed this little one into the world. This first month has gone by so fast!  To think I only have one more before I have to go back to work! :( 


This has been an interesting month, indeed.  We've faced breastfeeding problems, colic from my poor girl being stuffed with gas bubbles, no sleep, and feeling trapped, along with new perspectives, outings, new routines, and new friends.

I love Facebook.  I've been able to connect with other mommies and feel like I'm not so alone or crazy or different or whatever the case may be.  Interestingly enough, most of these mommies are people I wouldn't have normally reached out to, mostly because we're really more of acquaintances than close friends.  The connections are great :)  For example, during nights Henlie just won't sleep, or not stay asleep for more than five minutes, I pull her into bed next to me and we end up co-sleeping for part of the night.  Now I, for one, have no issues with the thought of co-sleeping.  I hear it does good things for a baby to have that closeness (just like holding her for 20 hours a day does too, I'm sure :)), however, all the experts caution against it due to SIDS.  Yes, co-sleeping is a lot more dangerous as more things can go wrong than if she is in her bassinet.  Matt I don't think has ever been fond of the idea either.  These things make me feel a little bad when she does co-sleep with me.  However, today I posted on the Facebook that we did co-sleep as part of my celebration that Henlie slept through the night last night! woot! Point is, she sleeps longer (aka better) when she is either a) being held or b) co-sleeping.  Anyway, I found a handful of mommies who told me they co-sleep too.  How awesome is that?  I also got some tips from other mommies to help Henlie actually sleep in her bassinet.  (She does sleep in her bassinet too, just sometimes she really doesn't want to be in there - like last night.  After feeding her at 9pm, 10pm, and then having her fuss again at 11pm, I was over trying to get her to sleep there.  And then we slept til 7:30am hehehe)

I feel like we're sort of starting to get into a routine too, just in time for me to go back to work ;)  I'm less worried about the clock regarding her eating and am feeding her more on demand.  Granted, if she was hungry before 3 hours beforehand, I would still feed her :)  We don't do "cry it out," not this early anyway, unless circumstances demand it (like being in the car).  Henlie is seeming to get into a routine with how often she wants to eat, too.  Although on occasion I do have to wake her up during the day to eat.  At night, she can sleep all she wants, during the day - 3 hours tops between feedings :)  However, I'm trying to make sure she goes at least 1.5 hours (preferrably 2 hours) between feedings.  For awhile, she was eating every 45 minutes to an hour, and I don't think that was most effective for either of us.  She was gassy and colicky - and I'm pretty sure she wasn't eating for long enough to get to the hind milk.  She is doing better now though.  Thank heavens.  Colic is not our friend.

Other updates - breastfeeding.  We had latch problems in the beginning, which left me broken and sore.  I started using my nipple shield on both sides, although the right side wasn't too damaged.  She can latch onto it better.  However, now she is so used to the shield that she won't nurse without it. (Not that I offer her the left side without it.  I remember the pain all too well.)  She will, on occassion take the right side without, but she doesn't latch on for as long.  Oh well, at least she is nursing and getting what she needs, and I'm not in constant pain.  Win-win.

Trapped - those first few days home (okay, maybe first week or two), I felt like I couldn't go anywhere.  Matt had the carseat base in his car, and I didn't even know how to put the carseat in my car, not to mention, I didn't know if my seatbelts were compatible (they are, as long as you use the locking clip.  I don't want to learn how to use the locking clip :))  We were getting used to nursing.  She was premature and I wasn't comfortable taking her lots of places.  I was stuck.  That coupled with Matt going back to work and school, breastfeeding problems, and baby blues made life difficult.  However, the hormones are more in check, she's eating fine, and we're used to Matt being gone again :)  Oh, and my darling husband put the base in my car, so I can just pop the carseat in and go!  I am no longer stuck.  I do, however, have to drive when we go places as a family, though :( (Matt used to always drive.)  Henlie and I have even braved Walmart on our very own.

This first month has definitely changed my perspective on life.  Matt will come home and I'll tell him about my day - and the highlights are usually pretty lame compared to what used to constitute a highlight.  Most days, I don't even change out of my PJs.  I feel I've had a productive day if I can get the animals fed before 10am.  It's a plus if I get breakfast in by then too :)  My life is pretty simple, and I feel like this is how it was meant to be.  I try to clean and take care of some things, but she's still so little that it's hard.  Example - today I had the huge success of gathering all of the garbages in the house (every single one was full....) and finagling the bags and boxes out to the dumpster while walking the dog.  That right there is a highlight. I do so little that anything extra is a win, and wins make me happy - and then Matt tells me my life is sad lol.

I can't believe it has been a month already.  She's so cute and a joy to have in our lives (most of the time :))  I'm trying to document things during this time so as not to forget them.  I actually wrote in her baby book the other day (after I purchased the appropriate color of pen ;)).  I'm a step ahead of my mother.  I have some things in my baby book, but most of the blanks are still blank :). 

I think her hair is getting a little longer.  It's still strawberry blonde.  I can't wait until it is long enough to see if it curls. 

Her eyes are still dark blue. 

Dr. Fullmer says she is filling out around the middle, and it seems her thighs are next on the list to fill out. 

People have commented on her long fingers.  Jackie will have to teach her piano one day :) (So don't move too far away forever!) 

Matt used to say Henlie's ears were put on upside-down because the top was skinnier than the bottom; however, her ears are filling out as well.  It makes me a little sad because they had fun little ruffle-like waves in the top that are getting stretched out :) 

I love her upper lip.  It comes to such a cute point in the middle.  She also makes fun "oh" and "oo" faces :) 

Her legs are so long, and she pushes against whatever she can find.  I have to be careful laying her in my lap because she could push right off of me.  I've also had to change the orientation that I change her in (we lay the changing pad down in the bassinet to change her), because she'll push her head right into the side of the bassinet. 

She had a weight check at the doctor's yesterday, and she currently weighs 5 lbs. 8 oz.  From two weeks ago (when she was 5 lbs. 1 oz.), she is gaining half an ounce per day. 

Also two weeks ago, she'd grown to 19.25 inches.  They didn't check her length again at the last appointment, but from my best measurement just taken, she is at 19.5 inches today. 

Just today, I noticed she is making some new noises.  This afternoon she started crying, and I had no idea why because it was a whole new cry I hadn't heard before. 

She still gets hiccups quite a bit, and her little coughs and sneezes are so cute. 

I'm a little scared, but oh so excited to see what new developments occur over the next month!

This entry was posted on Tuesday, December 4, 2012 at Tuesday, December 04, 2012 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

I know this post was meant to share about how much Henlie has changed in a month, but right now I seem to be mourning the loss of the past 8 months with Charlie. That must be from your descriptive writing! :) The time really does fly! I am so glad you and Henlie are adjusting so well. It is a lot of fun to get to experience life through a pair of baby eyes, and if I'm not mistaken, that part just keeps getting better. :)

December 4, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Anonymous  

Babies are so wonderful and yet so much work!! I often get sad as they grow because it seems to go faster and faster with each one. We are so thrilled your little one is here and thriving! Sounds like you're getting the hang of this mom thing too! Just wanted to also say that I always feel "stuck" after I have a baby. And all the little silly things that get done are definitely something to celebrate!!

December 5, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Post a Comment