The Hospital Stay  

Posted by Amber

Really, I think this post is mainly to share more pictures :) 

I kept Henlie in the room with me the entire time, except for when the nursery needed to take her to check vitals and whatever else they do.  Dr. Fullmer, our pediatrician, stopped by on Monday to check her out.  He said everything was great.  The only thing we needed to worry about was keeping her warm.  Since she was three weeks early, she didn't have time to add the extra fat to keep her insulated, and since she was already tiny, we didn't want her using up what fat stores she had in order to stay warm.  After that, she came back from the nursery with two blankets, instead of just one :)
Once, the nursery kept her for an hour in an incubator because her temp was a little low. Other than that, she stayed with us.
 

With the bow Daddy picked out :)
 
We had lots of visitors.  Mostly it was Matt's family, but some ward members stopped by too.
Henlie and Aunt Jennifer
Notice how tired Matt is in the background :)
Henlie and Uncle McKade - who is smiling
(remember when he found out she was a girl? not so happy then.  We're glad he changed his mind about having another niece :))
Meeting cousin Charlie
(Grandpa Biggs in the back, Jason, and Camile)
Aunt Camile and Henlie
 
Someone recommended using a blanket you could take home to get the dog used to her smell, so we used this little moon and stars blanket for Mocha.  Also, my in-laws were great about taking Mocha to their house.  She freaks out if she's left along for long periods of time.  Matt would go home in the mornings to feed the cat and the bird, and to grab things that we didn't bring with us the first night ;)

 
Let's see - being able to order from the hospital menu was pretty nice.  Although on Tuesday, I was busy nursing her when the deadline to order passed, so I just got whatever was being served, but it was still tasty.  They let you order way too much food, too.  I tried to work it so Matt could have some too (they give the spouse a voucher for one meal in the cafeteria is all), but he didn't take me up on it, so I really had too much food.  Tasty, though :)

When Dr. Fullmer said we needed to keep her warm, they not only double-wrapped her, but she got a cute little beanie made by the volunteers at the hospital.  One of my nurses mentioned they are usually too small, but this one fit quite nicely on my tiny baby.

Fortunately for me, I already had Monday off of work.  It was supposed to be my first week back in Orem editing, and Jan had scheduled me for 32 hours.  I sent her a text with a picture saying, "So, I won't be making it in this week after all."  We had a good chat after that.  And then another one since Ray had sent flowers to the Orem office for me, Jan, and Shannon.  Jan got them to send them down to the hospital for me instead.  It was sweet :)

I was able to move around a bit on Monday.  Tuesday was even better, though.  Yay for being able to get out of bed :)  Although, when you can move around and start feeling better, you can get pretty stir crazy.  I took some photos, listened to some music on Matt's laptop, and took a shower.  That was probably the best part - aside from going home that is :)

After my shower and getting ready to go home. The robe was from Camile - and it's great :)
Grandma Glory made the blanket :)

Tuesday was the day we checked out.  We asked how early we could go (didn't know if it had to be a full 48 hours or not), and they said as long as the doctors said we were both good, we could leave whenever.  Dr. Fullmer checked in on Henlie on his lunch break and cleared her.  Dr. Dewey was supposed to have swung by Tuesday morning, but never did.  Around 2pm, we had the nurses page him.  He called into my room and we set up to meet at his office on Wednesday morning, so I was good to go.  Then it was just a matter of the nursery and my nurse going over stuff with us to be discharged.

Mom and Jennifer came to help us carry all of our stuff out to the car.  Even though we came with very little, we ended up going home with a lot!  The nursery nurse came and discharged Henlie.  The billing office came to explain our bill.  Poor girl, I was nursing when she came in.  I didn't realize she wasn't from Labor and Delivery at first.  (You get used to just nursing in the open....)  Finally, Bonnie (my last nurse - she and Tylene were my favorites) discharged me, and saved Jennifer.....

You see, Jenn wasn't doing so hot.  She went to use the restroom and passed out.  I ran out and got Bonnie, who came in and checked on Jenn.  It took her awhile to be able to smell whatever awful thing they make you smell after that.  Jenn didn't even remember it happening.  We both got to go out in wheelchairs :)

Per Matt, "Photos, or it didn't happen."
Getting ready to leave.
Tiny baby in a carseat.  We have since added a rolled kitchen towel to support her head more.
 
It was cold, but there wasn't any snow (which was good, because I totally only wore my slipper socks to the car).  We got everything packed in, got the carseat put in correctly (Matt initially had it in backwards :)), and headed home.  Unfortunately for us, Matt still had to go to school, and he only got to be home with us for a little bit before he had to leave.  It was a really lonely night for me.
Made it home!
 
Matt's family ended up keeping Mocha that night.  Matt also had to stop by Jason and Camile's after class to borrow their bassinet.  I had ordered one after my last shower on Saturday, but since she came Sunday, it wasn't here yet.  They were so nice to let us borrow theirs for a few days! 
 
I'm pretty sure we ordered pizza for dinner that night.  We weren't sure how late we would be getting home Tuesday, so we didn't have anyone bring us food that night.  It's okay.  We like pizza in this house :) 
 
Since then, we've been growing, learning, and adjusting.  I honestly don't know how I'm going to make it back to work in three weeks.  It seems like when I think we have a routine going, she changes it.  Or (as of late) her routine ends up being eating for 30-45 minutes, napping, getting a diaper change, and starting over again every hour.  Explain when I'm supposed to pump or do anything else on that schedule :)  Oh well, it will be another adjustment, and we'll get used to it, I'm sure.  Just have to find more time to pump....


This entry was posted on Thursday, December 13, 2012 at Thursday, December 13, 2012 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Anonymous  

I almost cried when I read about you going back to work - I know that feeling and struggle all too well! Sounds like she is a good baby and doing VERY well! Keep the updates coming.

December 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Post a Comment