I'll finish blogging Christmas later, but I figured it appropriate to share our adventures with 2013 while they're still fresh. Yes, it's only January 4th, and already, 2013 is turning out to be quite adventurous.
We didn't stay up to ring in the new year. Henlie was asleep before midnight (yay!) Matt had a bit of a cough, and by the next day, it was apparent his luck had run out and he was sick. (He'd had a cough like he was getting sick a few days prior, but nothing came of it.)
He wasn't too pleased about getting sick on his last day of vacation. He is also none too pleased about contracting the flu when he received a flu shot this year. Since he was sick, we hung out on the couch pretty much all day watching Star Trek Voyager on Netflix. He kept his distance from the baby and me. Naturally, this is a day when Henlie decides to be super needy, constantly eating and fussing. I only got a couple of things accomplished, and that was only because I'd put her in the sling, much to her dismay. It's hard taking care of the baby on days Matt isn't home, but it's more annoying to single parent when he is home, but he can't help. :(
Later in the evening, Matt really wasn't feeling well. He decided he wanted to go to the hospital. (You know it's bad when he's actually telling you to take him to the hospital.) So I started putting things in the diaper bag to get Henlie ready to go when Matt tells me he can't move and to just call 911 instead. I'm getting so good at calling them....
While we're waiting for the ambulance, I called Matt's mom to come help with Henlie. It's great she is so close, available, and willing to come over at the drop of a hat.
By the time the ambulance arrived, Matt had mostly regained control of his muscles. The EMTs checked his vitals and said it was likely caused from either dehydration or hyperventilation. They also said to go into the hospital for a breathing treatment if it happened again.
I ran to the store to get some Pedialite for him and to grab some more diapers for Henlie while Mom stayed with him and the baby. On my way to check out, Mom called saying it was starting to happen again and Matt wanted to go in. He decided to wait for me since I was only a few minutes out.
When I got home, I left the car running and headed upstairs. Mom stayed home with Henlie while we went to the ER. I parked next to a median that was covered in snow and told Matt not to fall...and then I promptly slipped on black ice. :)
We got all checked in and taken to a triage room where we waited and Matt snuggled up under a heated blanket. We finally saw the doctor who concluded Matt had bronchial spasms, which caused hyperventilation, which caused carpopedal spasms (which is what the clenched hands and feet is called). He had to take a call, during which Matt had another coughing spell and threw up a couple of times. They gave him nausea medicine and prescriptions for an antibiotic, just in case, nausea, and cough syrup.
When we got home, Henlie was asleep. We talked with Mom for awhile and eventually made it to bed. Matt got some sleep thanks to the drugs. Who knew this was a perfectly normal flu side effect? I guess we just wanted to get a head start on 2013's medical deductible. Needless to say, Matt stayed home Wednesday.
Wednesday was also my first day back at work. It went okay. I only pumped once since I was going to leave early, but I should have pumped the second time because I didn't get out of there as quickly as I was hoping. Mom and Michelle watched Henlie all night since Matt is sick, so I picked her up on my way home that night.
Matt stayed home again Thursday, but started improving. I didn't work, but Henlie was much kinder to us, actually taking some naps. Tuesday, the most she slept during the day was about 20 minutes around 6 pm. Ugh.
Today, Friday, Matt made it to work. He's still sick, but doing better. Henlie had her 2 month appointment and got her shots. She's doing okay at the moment. She slept once I got her in her carseat. And I get to go back to work today....oh the joy. Maybe we'll get lucky and the rest of 2013 won't be quite so exciting :)
This entry was posted
on Friday, January 4, 2013
at Friday, January 04, 2013
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
comments feed
.
