This Mother's Day was my first as a mother. Matt had a pipe band clinic that weekend as that was when they scheduled to have Bob Worrall come. Matt really enjoyed the clinic, so that's good. Earlier in the week, he asked if I wanted to go to dinner on Saturday. I thought there was some function or group thing he was seeing if I wanted to attend, so I asked why. He told me, "Because it's Mother's Day and you'll be mad because I'll be gone all day." lol Nice of him to remember it was Mother's Day :)
Come Saturday, though, nothing really sounded good. Then Henlie didn't go to bed until 8:30pm. We ordered cheese sticks and pizza from Fat Jacks. (Because their cheese sticks did sound good, and a coke.... but they have pepsi products. It was okay though. Mostly I think I wanted a soda as I haven't had one in awhile and this was a special occasion, after all.) So we stayed up eating Fat Jacks and watching a whole disc of House (four episodes).
Sunday, Matt went off to band when Henlie and I went to church. We made it in time for the prayer. Go us for making it to church! (It's hard to do.) The bishopric spoke. Of course, the primary sang. It was funny, Leah tried to get her little boy Xander (a sunbeam) to go up, but he really didn't want to. She was going to lift him over the railing to stick him in with the other kids, but he kicked and wasn't going to have it. The congregation got a laugh out of it. After sacrament, Sherry Wilkinson gave us a gift she'd gotten for Henlie. It's a little tummy time playmat with a bolster pillow and a couple of toys. She is so sweet to think of us. (Apparently she has always been fond of me because I was one of her first young women :) Perks to moving into your old ward from childhood, eh?)
The ward got us truffle candy bars. This was super nice as I didn't have time for breakfast. Also, when I got to primary, I found that Whitney's pseudo efforts to have the priesthood take care of primary so the women could attend Relief Society actually worked. :) Chip (Connie's husband - she's the song lady) really did do the music. Also, Brother Draper really sort of set it up to have the men help in primary. Although, he didn't call Whitney until Saturday afternoon lol.
We ended up having all of the kids go to class first and then had a combined sharing time for the elders to come in and sit with the kids. So, we got an hour of hanging out. That was nice. When some of the ladies found out Chip was doing the music, they decided to stick around. It was kind of fun to have all of the kids together. We're a smaller primary, so it was fun to have so many people there. Whitney did a fun matching game for sharing time, and then Chip did the music.
That was the most active singing time ever! We got our workout in, for sure! Chip started off with Popcorn Popping, and had all of the guys come up to do the actions. I don't know if it's breaking any rules or not, but I totally videoed it.
Oh yeah, other bonus? Henlie napped for the last bit of church. I'd fed her during the last part of sacrament meeting, so I didn't really want to feed her again. (I'm having supply issues with her eating real food and nursing too often - when I go to pump at work, I get nothing.) She found my arm instead and sucked on that for quite awhile before falling asleed. At least I called it right and she wasn't really hungry, just sleepy. Needless to say, I have a hickey on my arm from her :) I handed her off to Denise to grab my phone to video the song, and she stayed asleep. Afterward, Denise handed her back, and she was still asleep. She woke up just in time for me to put her in her car seat to go home. Craziness.
Anyway, we also sang Do As I'm Doing and Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes. Seriously - so much moving! Carson made the comment to Chip, "You're sweating!" Chip replied, "It's because I'm so nervous being up here in front of you guys. It has nothing to do with the fact I'm fat." lol Oh Chip. He's a funny man :)
After church, Henlie and I came home and hung out. We tried out her new playmat. My dad called and I talked to him and Gloria for a little bit. Henlie and I went outside and played in the shade of a tree and just enjoyed the beautiful weather. She eventually took another nap, and so did I. Matt came home and I woke up, and we headed over to his mom's house to visit and return her knives. (Matt decided to sharpen them for her since he can't afford to buy her a new set.)
Probably just the fact it was Mother's Day and I'm actually a mother now got me thinking about my mom a lot. I don't really sit and think about her a whole lot anymore, except for maybe around Christmastime (her birthday and death are in December). So my mom was on my mind a lot Sunday. Then in sacrament, we either sang or it was referrenced (yeah, I can't remember - pregnancy apparently really does kill off brain cells...) the song Oh My Father. That reminded me of my mom because we sang it at her funeral. I wanted to take Henlie over to my mom's grave, but I didn't know when Matt would be home. I didn't end up going over in the afternoon, so we left Carrie's house to head to Springville before it was too late (both in terms of sunlight and Henlie's bedtime. She didn't get to bed on time, but it was okay. She was down by 9pm.) I think it was only the second time I've taken Matt to my mom's grave. I don't really go ever because she's not there. I don't really see a point to it. Although, I think that may change a bit now that we have Henlie. It will maybe give her a way to be in touch with her grandmother and give us occasions to talk about her.
We had an enjoyable time. Mocha had to stay in the car at the cemetery, and she got herself up on the back dash. It was amusing to me. Henlie also managed to bring an ant home with her, which we found on her dress when we got out of the car at home.
For my first Mother's Day, it was a great day. Matt didn't even complain when I asked him to change a couple of diapers. We watched some more House after the baby fell asleep. I love my little family and am so grateful I get to be a mother. It's still kind of weird to think about - that little girl is mine. I brought her into the world. I get to raise her. I'm a mom. Yet, it seems so natural. I do love being a mom. It's kind of funny to think for awhile in my life, I didn't want kids. I obviously changed my mind, and then when we decided to have kids, it took 3 1/2 years for us to get pregnant. I know it was on the Lord's timeline, and I apparently had some learning and growing to do beforehand. Even though some days are hard, I wouldn't trade it. Being a mom is the best and what I was meant to do and be. It's amazing how my priorities in life have changed since having Henlie. I love her and am so glad I get to call her mine.








