11 Months  

Posted by Amber

One more month - eee! We've been in party planning mode for a month now.  I'm sure glad, too.  But let's not get ahead of ourselves.  Henlie still has a full month before the big 1 year mark.


This month has sure brought out her cute little personality.  She smiles easily.  She loves to dance, especially to drums.  She is our little drummer girl :)  She still doesn't like when people go to grab her hands.  She is also pretty stoic while she observes new people, but once she has warmed up, she does just fine being handed off.  She is very curious and loves to get into everything.  She also thinks it's funny when we tell her to get out of something. She'll turn and just grin like, "Yeah right, look at me go!"  She loves to go, go, go so much that she doesn't like to go to sleep at night.  She also will wake once or twice most nights.  Most unfortunate for me.


As for her dancing, we went to the Great Basin Branch ceilidh and cookout on Saturday, Sept. 14.  After dinner, they had a kitchen piping contest.  She was rocking out and "singing" along.  She also loves to play with the little radio at Grandma Biggs' house.  I first saw her skills on Sunday, Sept. 15.  She beelined it to the radio, pushed a button for some music, and started rocking back and forth. It was so funny and cute!


As I have mentioned numerous times, she really loves the drums.  She loves to bang on the popcorn tin, the toilet, the walls, the doors, the tables.  She'll grab ahold of some drumsticks and bang on stuff.  She loves to watch Daddy drum.  Dad has even let her sit on his lap while he plays his drumset. (First time it has been played in awhile...)  Drums are grand.


I love how happy she can be.  She really does smile pretty easily, as long as it's not bed time :)  She'll see us down the hall and grin, along with a sharp intake of breath accompanied by a high-pitched noise.  That's her happy noise.  The first time Matt heard it, he thought maybe she was having an allergic reaction to something and her throat was closing off....  which, it does kind of sound like that...  However, that is just her happy noise.  If she's really happy, it is followed by giggling :)  She loves the puppy and the kitty still.  She will grin at them and get all excited if they get close to her.  She loves tickles, flying, and being upside-down.  She really loves if someone will play with her, too.  Who doesn't love attention, though? :)


She is really good and getting into everything and playing by herself, too.  This is handy when I'm trying to get other things done.  She likes to explore and get everything out.  She loves to pull her toys out of their respective put-away places.  She loves to get ahold of lots of papers and fling them about.  She thinks it is great fun to grab hold of them and flap like a crazy person.  In the kitchen, her first stop is the second drawer from the bottom.  (It's the perfect height for her while she is standing.)  She pulls out all of the hot pads.  If I put them back, this will entertain her for awhile.  If I don't?  Well, she finds other things to get into...  She can get everywhere in the house, pretty much.  She is a speedy crawler.  She can also be pretty quiet when she wants to be.  I have had to look for her on a couple of ocassions.


This month's biggest accomplishment, however, has been WALKING!  Friday night, Sept. 20th, I was at work.  Matt and I were chatting, and he told me the baby walked.  He said she took like a step and a half and then sat down.  I thought to myself, nah, that's not walking.  She has sort of done that already anyway.  Later that night (I found out later) she took like six steps on her own.  Since I had so vehemently denied Henlie actually walked, Matt didn't tell me.  


Well, Matt was gone recording with the pipe band on Saturday, and the baby and I were home together.  We had just finished nursing in her room, but she wasn't sleepy, so I set her down between the chair and the ottoman to put myself back together.  Enter the puppy.  Henlie got excited and started heading to the puppy.  Since I was otherwise engaged and she was next to two pieces of furniture, I wasn't positive if she was holding on, or if she walked on her own.  Two seconds later, she confirmed that she could walk by her lonesome.  We practiced lots that day, and she would just laugh and laugh, as if to say, "Look at me! This is awesome! I'm awesome! This is so much fun!"  Yep.  She is pretty cool stuff.


Other new developments including pointing and squinting.  She loves to point at stuff.  I think she is just starting to grasp that she can use this as a form of communication.  As for squinting, I'm not quite certain where she learned it.  She'll grin and scrunch up her face and squint her eyes closed.  She and I will squint back and forth at each other, and she'll just giggle.


Along with pointing, we've been doing a little bit of reading.  She has this book by Susan Boynton called Moo, Baa, La La La!  Basically it has lots of animals and goes through what they say.  I figured she's older, and she can point, maybe she'll be a little more into it and we can interact a bit more.  I think it's a favorite of hers for now.  She particularly loves the horse page.  The horse says, "Neigh!" and the way I read it sort of sounds like giggling, and she will sit and laugh every time I say "neigh."  It's pretty darn cute.

(click image for affiliate link - for your convenience)
 
Perhaps the second most exciting thing, next to walking, as been her first tooth!  Her top teeth have been working on coming out to play for awhile, and her first one (top center left if you're looking at her) finally erupted on Oct. 3rd.  This makes her bites of banana much cleaner :)  The others on top are still thinking about coming out.  We haven't seen any inklings of the bottom teeth joining us, though.

I took her into the doctor for another weight check, and she weighed in at 19 lbs 3.5 oz. which is exactly 50 percent.  I measured her height a day or two later (because I forgot :)), and measured her at 27.75 in.


She gets more and more fun each day.  She loves seeing other kids.  She loves her cousin Charlie.  It really is pretty easy to get a grin or a laugh out of her.  Now if only we had the energy to keep up with her ;)

This entry was posted on Friday, October 11, 2013 at Friday, October 11, 2013 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment