Amber and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day  

Posted by Amber

Thursday, Oct. 16th, Matt flew out for Peru.  He had to be in Lehi at 4:15am.  My sweet sister-in-law, Kayla, came over around 3:15am and stayed at our house in case Henlie woke up (and also, so we didn't have to wake Henlie up and put her in the car).  We got Matt to his co-worker's house 10 minutes early.  Due to some construction in the area, I had a little bit of a hard time getting back to the freeway, but I did fine.  I drove home.  No big deal.

HOWEVER, that afternoon, I had someone coming to look at Matt's car.  I thought, I have no idea how much gas is in it.  Perhaps I should check and go fill it up, just in case.  Yes, it's stick shift, but I should be able to manage to get a few blocks to the gas station at 5am with no one on the roads!

I checked Matt's car.  1/4 tank.  Okay, I'll take it out to the gas station.  Start car, put in reverse.  WHERE THE CRAP IS THE BRAKE PEDAL?!? Oh s***. 

Yeah, I backed into another car in the parking lot.  

Took me awhile to get the stupid car started again so I could pull it back into the parking spot.  Inspect both cars.  Scuffed bumpers.  Matt's is popped off on the side that I hit it.  Go upstairs and get paper and pen.  Write note.  Take it outside.  Remember I should put my phone number on said note.  Go back inside and add that.  Go put note in their windshield.  Kayla suggests I take pictures.  Go downstairs and take pictures.  Fortunately, phone has a flash :)  Inspect cars a little more closely.  Call Matt.  It didn't bother him nearly as much as it bothered me.  Kayla goes home to get some more sleep.  I lay awake for a couple of hours, first searching how to buff scratches out of the car.  Then trying to find a mobile car repair service in the area. (Side note, the only mobile service I found was for dents.  Only dents.)  Finally go to sleep for a few hours.

Wake up, talk to Matt some more.  Inspect the car.  Continue freaking out and feeling horrible.  Clean out Matt's car since guy is still coming to look at it in the afternoon.  Ask Facebook if anyone can drive a stick and help me out.  My cousin, Zach, comes over and drives it to a shop in town for me.  Estimate to replace bumper and valence = $1,055.  Fortunately, our deductible is only $250.  Take the car home and wait until the guy checks it out first.

Eventually put Henlie down for a nap.  (She didn't nap.)  Go downstairs with the dog to take some extra pictures for the insurance claim.  By habit, lock the doorknob.  Only have Matt's car keys on me.  Locked out.  Kayla is in Orem.  Payson Lock and Key will be 30 minutes before they can come over.  Fortunately, my neighbor, Leah, has been locked out of her house by her children lots and has learned how to card the door open.  She gets me inside.  

Later, the guy comes to look at the car.  They check it out.  I tell them about the bumper and let them know the options (we fix or they fix, and just pay us less money) if they end up being interested in the car.  They take it for a test drive and for a courtesy check at a mechanic.  They like car.  They buy car for $3,500.  I don't have to fix car.  Huge weight = lifted.

Finish paperwork.  Take off license plate (which I nearly forgot to do!).  Call insurance and close the claim.  It will still cover the other car if they choose to make a claim.  Cancel the insurance since we no longer own a car.  Doesn't affect the claim still.

Mailed the DMV letter to let them know we sold the car.  Mail postcards to my cousin, Elisabeth.  Not all of them fit in the envelope I had (I wasn't going to mail each individually!), so I drop the rest off at her mom's house.  First, stop at the bank.  Got a new debit card and set things up to move to Peru.  Deposit car money.  Go to Sip-N Spot for a much needed and deserved Oreo.  Share a smoothie with Henlie because she wanted a "juice."  Got a Lion's Roar (mango Mountain Dew) for my aunt, Caleen.  Pick up some pizzas and crazy bread for her family as well.  Drop them off (eventually.  Silly boys don't open the door!)  Chatted for awhile.  Drove past the Payson temple since she lives on that street.  After being lit for like 2 weeks, it wasn't lit up.  Oh well.  Still pretty.  Drive home.  Put baby to bed.  End my day on a better note than it started.  Still, I wouldn't want to relive it!

This entry was posted on Monday, October 20, 2014 at Monday, October 20, 2014 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment