Andrew's Clinic Stay According to Facebook - Week 2  

Posted by Amber

As promised, here are more Facebook status updates and pictures from Andrew's clinic stay. :)

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 12:03pm

Got my stitches out today and then went to visit Andrew. He was so awake and alert and trying to look around smile emoticon My doctor said his valve had closed. Matt may call the nicu later for a more complete update, or we may just wait until we see him tomorrow. His nose was further out of the tank today, but he managed to get his ear squished up on it, which he wasn't pleased about. The nurse helped move it so it was off his ear.
 — with Matt Biggs at Clínica Ricardo Palma.

Monday, March 23, 2015 at 2:29pm
Selfie with my girl waiting for Daddy to find an ATM at the clinic.
 — at Clínica Ricardo Palma.




Monday, March 23, 2015 at 7:24pm
While visiting Andrew this morning, he was so awake and looking around. I even caught a few practice smiles. Adorable. I love my little man. One day, I'll wear something with pockets so I can take pictures when I have to go in without Matt smile emoticon

Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 2:58pm
Notice something missing from this picture?
 — at Clínica Ricardo Palma.




Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 2:59pm
No oxygen tank! Step 1 = complete!
 — at Clínica Ricardo Palma.




Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 3:01pm
Tomorrow they will remove his umbilical cord catheter, and then we can hold him!
 — at Clínica Ricardo Palma.




Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 3:03pm
Love my little guy smile emoticon
 — at Clínica Ricardo Palma.



Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 3:03pm
He really had been awake a bit when we got there, and Matt got to see some practice smiles today, too smile emoticon — with Matt Biggs at Clínica Ricardo Palma.





Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 3:13pm
Andrew keeps making progress smile emoticon His oxygen tank is gone and he is on room air. His O2 sat. was 95 to 97 today, even while stretching. They had him on his tummy, and he was awake for most of our visit. Matt got to see some of his practice smiles today, too. He is eating again. We think it is 2 cc every four hours (a little lost in translation?). Tomorrow they will remove his umbilical cord catheter and we can hold him! We also found out his time of birth, 2:50pm. That would make it about three hours from start of labor to his birth in the OR.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 4:36pm
I got to hold Andrew for the first time today! Unfortunately, Matt's lingering cough surfaced in the nursery, so they kicked him out frown emoticon
 — at Clínica Ricardo Palma.




Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 4:38pm
We got turned so Daddy could see us in the window.




Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 6:18am
So I didn't do a real update on Andrew yesterday. Nurses said he finally passed his meconium...and there was a lot. Lol Matt said like 10 grams. He is also up to about 1.2 kg.

I did finally get to hold him. He had a harder time keeping his O2 sat. up while I was holding him, though. Nurse Doris, who thankfully speaks some English, told me I had to keep stimulating him. She told me to sing to him, so I did. Man, I don't remember words to songs lol. Most songs did help him regulate his breathing better. We even made up a breathing song wink emoticon Turns out Lil Dude also likes musicals. Music of the Night and Part of Your World were hits. Now I need to brush up on words wink emoticon

Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 12:23pm
I love waiting an hour or more to see my baby.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 2:04pm
Andrew is up to 1.22 kg and they are feeding him 5 ml breastmilk every three hours now. Hopefully he continues to tolerate it well and they can keep increasing his feeds. They are hoping he can gain 20 grams a day. Once he weighs about 1.7 kg, we will start breastfeeding.

Friday, March 27, 2015 at 3:11pm
I'm awake!




Friday, March 27, 2015 at 3:12pm
Practice smile!


Friday, March 27, 2015 at 3:13pm
Yawn.




Friday, March 27, 2015 at 3:14pm
Lol love him trying to keep his eyes open smile emoticon







Friday, March 27, 2015 at 3:15pm
All stretched out.


Friday, March 27, 2015 at 3:15pm
Long little toes smile emoticon







Friday, March 27, 2015 at 3:15pm
Nap time smile emoticon





Friday, March 27, 2015 at 4:40pm
Went to the nicu by myself today. Not the clinic, but the nicu smile emoticon It was near the end of shift, so the nurses were prepping for shift change and they didn't offer to let me hold him...and I didn't know how to ask, but Dude and I just hung out for a bit anyway. He was a bit awake when I got there. Matt came back to pick me up and talked to the nurses a bit. Only real news is they increased his breastmilk to 7ml. Also, his one black eye was starting to look better today.

Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 12:59pm
I love getting to hold my little guy. He's eating 10 ml at a feed now. They are talking about soon taking out his IV and trying him solely on breastmilk to see if he can gain weight faster. He is also off of his antibiotics. Matt thinks they said he's at 1.26 kg.


From Matt - Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 11:17pm
Not the way I imagined 30 would go. Thanks all for the well wishes. Spent most of the morning at the clinic with Andrew. Went to dinner with friends and had some imported Angus from the states. Got a call at 930 or so saying we had to sign some things at the clinic. Andrew forgets to breathe sometimes, so they put oxygen on his nose to keep him out of deep sleep and breathing. They're going to run some blood work early in the morning (thus the signatures) just in case. He'll need a transfusion at the same time. Everything should be fine, xrays of his chest look good, it's more of a way to make sure everything's ok. We're home now at 1130 and so done with everything. With any luck henlie will go back to sleep in a reasonable amount of time. Thanks again - we really do appreciate everyone's support.

Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 11:26pm
Got a call from the clinic tonight. Andrew was moved from the incubator to an open bed, but since then, his O2 sat. has dipped more frequently. This didn't really surprise me as I've noticed this happen when I've gotten to hold him the last few days.
Anyway, we had to go to the clinic to sign something. Apparently he had a routine blood draw scheduled for tomorrow morning, but due to this, they're going to take a bit more to run some additional tests to verify there isn't anything wrong causing this. The doctor doesn't think there is, but wants to check just in case. Since they are going to be taking more blood, he will need a transfusion to replace it, which is what I had to sign for. (Let me point out it had to be me, not Matt, who signed this...) Also, they wanted it to be my blood, so we had to go to the lab for that.
At the lab, she took some blood, but wasn't able to take all that they will need since I recently gave birth and lost blood due to that. They will use the blood bank, but we need to supply a donor to replace the blood used from the bank. Matt should be able to do this.
For now, they put him back on nasal oxygen. He seems to dip when he falls into a deep sleep, so the air on his nose is more to keep him from forgetting to breathe than anything, it sounds like.
We will visit him around 10 tomorrow like usual for Sunday. I believe his blood draw is scheduled for 11. Hopefully we have more updates tomorrow. Not sure if I'll get to hold him tomorrow or not, though. They did do an X Ray and have already ruled out pneumonia, so that's good smile emoticon

Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 12:40pm
Peek a boo!




Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 12:41pm
My little tough guy.



Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 1:11pm
Visited Andrew today after dropping Henlie off at church. Found another nurse who speaks some English. His tests came back negative for whatever they tested for, but he did have low hemoglobin, so they gave him the blood transfusion. The nurse said he was more stable today, but still needs to be monitored for his O2 sat. and still on the air on his nose. Other than that, no new updates.

End week two!

This entry was posted on Saturday, June 27, 2015 at Saturday, June 27, 2015 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

How irritating to have to wait so long to see your baby so often! Grr... But he did so well his second week. WOW!! Certainly a strong little dude. Interesting you have to replace any blood used from the bank.

June 30, 2015 at 8:50 AM

Post a Comment