Yesterday, my personality theory class went to the clothesline project on campus. We were required to write a one page response to it. I hand-wrote mine in my following class. As I was writing it, I thought I should blog it. So here's a typed version (possibly will end up edited a tad - it was more like a journal entry).
The clothesline project is a very interesting way for those whose lives have been touched by abuse to express their stories. Not only are the shirts color-coordinated to match a specific kind of abuse with people's stories written on them, but in some, you can feel and see their emotions -- shirts shredded, words splattered across them, images, chaos. Some have forgiven and moved on -- order, a picture of a sun. Some just tell the story.
Swears are common. Why wouldn't they be? These people have been harmed in ways that should NEVER happen -- ever. Some are long -- they tell the story. Others are short - may only have meanig to the writer. That's okay. It's therapy.
October's Utah County Clothesline Project -- sad stories, lots of anger, some healing -- need to raise awareness. One green shirt struck me. I stared, taking it in for a moment.
"No!" I don't date now.
I looked up green as I was leaving -- survivors of incest or childhood sexual abuse. Such an adverse effect for this person. What a breach of trust!
It happens. More often than you might realize. It seems distant if these things never have happened to you. Who are these people who created these shirts? Then I remember, I know peope who were sexually abuses, raped, or beaten.
Seek help if you aren't in a good situation. You can break free! It's not easy -- but the burden is much lighter.
Speak up if you know of abuse -- even if it's not hapening to you. No more white shirts.


This entry was posted
on Tuesday, October 21, 2008
at Tuesday, October 21, 2008
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
comments feed
.
