Well I knew today would be kinda long and slightly stressful, but I didn't know how. Today we graded our take-home midterm in individual therapy (20 out of 20 baby!). Then I went to work. I figured I'd finish that and go to Target to pick up Jason and Camile's wedding present. Then I'd study for my group therapy midterm- do my part, and rush down to Payson for pictures before Jason and Camile's reception.
HOWEVER! That isn't quite how it all played out. Instead, I didn't finish work because Matt called. He asked what I was doing (working, duh), and asked if I could come down to Spanish Fork. I thought the credit union had an issue with something. (He was in Spanish making his car payment, I talked to him like 10 minutes before this call.) So naturally I ask why, and he tells me he hit someone. I asked if it was on his bike, and he said yes. Immediately, I asked him if he's alright. (Obviously he was alive since he *called* me.) He said yes. I asked if he was sure, and he said maybe. I asked if he'd called 911, and he said he hadn't. So I told him to hang up and call them. Pretty sure I called him a dingbat too lol. I told him I was on my way, I loved him, and then we hung up.
I haven't driven 80 in awhile... I went 65 - 70 in the work zone (55mph). I was shaky when I left work. I calmed down in the car, but as I approached Spanish Fork, I started to get shaky again. I found him and ran over to him. He was sitting with the EMTs. I came up from behind them and noticed he was bandaged (gause sling and wrap around his chest). The EMTs told me he'd hurt his shoulder. I had to sign stuff for him (that was kind of scary). They suggested getting it x-rayed pronto, then they left. The cop wasn't done with his information, so we hung out for a little while.
Apparently, he was driving straight, and the large vehicle in front of him was moving - it appeared that traffic was moving. The large vehicle went around the vehicle in front of it - which happened to be stopped at the light. Matt locked his brakes up and started skidding. He couldn't stop in time, and since he was sliding, he couldn't get around the minivan either. He laid the bike down and slid under the minivan a little, causing a hole in his pants to form over his knee - which got road rash. The bike also scraped up his ankle some. He figures the road must have bounced him up, and he hit his right shoulder on the bumper of the minivan. This smashed the tip of his collar bone (which we found out at the Payson ER). The bike has at least one broken handlebar, and Matt figures there's a hole in the gas tank.
When the cop was finally done, he gave Matt's license and insurance back with the paperwork with the insurance of both parties and the claim number. Apparently, Spanish Fork mandates that a citation must be written with all accidents, so Matt got a ticket for "improper lookout." Then we got him in the car and went to the Payson ER. (Dumb hospital is building a new wing - no parking!) Once again, I had to sign the paperwork for him. Weird... Matt got an x-ray, found out about his collar bone, and got the bad road rash spots cleaned and bandaged. He cannot use his right hand for at least 2 weeks. At which point, he needs another x-ray to determine better the state of things. It should take about 6 weeks for it to heal. However, after 2, he might be able to write and type a little.
After we finished at the hospital, we went to Smith's and filled his prescriptions - painkiller and a muscle relaxant. Then we went to his parents' house and got ready for the reception. (Yes, we still made it to pictures, however, I didn't make it to my midterm. My teacher was okay with that.) Matt borrowed his brother Curtis's pants (on a mission, he won't miss them yet) and his dad's socks. Dressing someone else is interesting, let me tell you. We had some food, and Matt was able to take his pills then. About an hour later, the muscle relaxant was fully in gear and he felt much better.
We stayed at the reception until about 8pm. It was way cute. However, I forgot to pack my camera in the morning, so I only have a few pics that I took on my phone. Perhaps I'll get those up later. The drive home didn't agree with Matt. He had a slice of bread and some water for dinner. Now he's asleep. He should be fine, though I bet he gets cranky later since he can't do anything. If anyone's bored and wants to play xbox with him, I'm sure he'd love that.
This entry was posted
on Wednesday, October 15, 2008
at Wednesday, October 15, 2008
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
comments feed
.
