Today was the farewell address of a high school friend of mine. She will be serving an LDS mission in Nauvoo, Illinois in American Sign Language. This apparently has been a long time coming, with random complications in the past preventing her from going. However, she was able to finally get confirmation of her decision, and get all the necessary paperwork done and approved. She will be an awesome missionary.
The whole sacrament meeting topic was modern day revelation. A good topic. :) Nikki presented the lesson on the restoration. It was very well done. The Spirit was definitely there. The part that moved me the most, however, was the musical number after her talk.
Nikki and a friend signed the song How Great Thou Art while another friend played it on the piano. I started crying at the first chorus, "Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to thee.." I'm sure it was more poignant by the fact that a lot of her non-hearing friends were sitting in the row directly behind us. Another touching addition to the arrangement, in the fourth verse, the piano cut out - all that was left was the sign language. It was truly beautiful.
This was one of the most spiritual church meetings I have attended in a while. I'm so grateful for the experience and for everything that the gospel provides.
Congratulations, Sister Westwood. You'll be amazing. :)
This entry was posted
on Sunday, February 22, 2009
at Sunday, February 22, 2009
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
comments feed
.
