Recent Happenings  

Posted by Amber

So, while I'm playing catch-up, here are some other things that have happened recently that don't really warrant their own post :)

Saturday, Jan. 29, Matt and the band competed at the Dave Barclay Memorial Indoor Competition (seriously, why do all things pipe band have such long names?).  I was going to go up and hang out and watch, but I went to bed late.  And, I decided I would be super bored because it is just piping and drumming - no vendors to peruse during off moments.  So instead, I sent Matt off early with the camera and instructions to make someone video him soloing.  When I eventually woke up, I played Dragon Age for an epic amount of time and finished my first playthrough :)  While Matt signed up for two solos, he only actually competed in one.  He took second (of two, but that doesn't matter, right? ;) )


The band did well, taking first in both competitions.  They also took first in drumming in both competitions.  Matt was pretty happy about that :)

We also added two little ones to our family.  Matt's aunt Melody's mom moved and can only keep three of her pets, so we adopted two of her canaries.  I don't know how old they are or what their names were.  All I know is one is supposed to be a boy, and the other is supposed to be a girl.  Don't ask me which is which, though.  They're quite fun, and they're squeeking in the other room as I type :)  Cinco is quite fond of them as well, and they don't seem to mind him, unless he swats at them while they're getting a drink.
Bandito
 Bethesda
Cinco inspecting the cage for durability

We're bad.  We only managed to keep the birds quarantined from each other for like a week.  Turk is only interested in them because they get to eat more seeds than he does.  He'll fly to their cage and try to get in to eat the yumminess that he is denied :)

This past weekend, we had stake conference.  It was so good! We sat with Matt's parents at the adult session (after enjoying yummy pizza and family at their house).  I recently have started reading my scriptures again (never was a strong point for me) and was reading in Matthew. During my reading, I keep getting the impression we need to do better with preparing - not just reading scriptures and such, but temporal preparedness, getting 72 hour kits, actually getting food storage.  Guess what theme I came away with from conference?  That's right, preparedness.  And what else?  They went over the scriptures I had just been reading :)  It's a sign - I really need to do more to prepare our little house in case of an emergency, not just for us, but our animals too.

The Sunday session, we actually arrived on time (15 minutes early).  There were still some soft seats near the front, but we sat a row behind and over from Matt's family.  Again, such an awesome conference.  I think conference has helped me with reading my scriptures at night (aside from the fact I should do that anyway...and this year's primary theme is I Know the Scriptures are True...).  I just love the gospel :)  Also, didn't play Dragon Age Sunday (go me! - they talked about bad distractions in conference too).  Not that I can't play (because I have the last couple of nights), but I really need to keep that in check with my family's needs.

That afternoon (yes, superbowl sunday) we had our Priesthood Preview, for which I made adorable invitations, of course. I heart them :)


I drew the tie and created the stripes (which say "PriesthoodPreview" over and over)


So there you have it, the things that have happened in our lives lately.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 9, 2011 at Wednesday, February 09, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment