Catharsis doesn't work on Anger  

Posted by Amber

I'm angry.  Bitter, and feeling a little betrayed.  However, after yelling at the mirror in the bathroom while trying to finish putting on mascara, I'm still angry.  And then it comes to me, something from my college days - anger is one emotion catharsis doesn't work for.

Catharsis comes from Greek and means to cleanse or purge.  Basically the idea is that 'venting' your anger will dissipate it.  But again, anger is one emotion this doesn't work for.  Hitting your pillow or yelling at the mirror just makes you more angry.  Which is stupid.

After reading a couple articles on catharsis and anger (just to make sure the one class I was in when I learned this was correct), I'm sufficiently calm while writing this.  Doesn't change the fact I'm pissed though.

I'm not going to elaborate because this blog was already the source of the issue.  However, let me say this, I'm aware my blog is public and anyone can read it.  I know that one has to be careful about what one puts on the internet (a certain incident with naming my place of employment in an angry post made me all too aware of that).  If I feel I'm writing something of a sensitive nature, I'll take precautions to shield those involved if I feel it's okay to blog about.  Nothing I write is intended to upset people.

But here's the flip-side, it's my blog.  I maintain my rights to the freedom of speech.  If I offend someone, that's their fault. (Wasn't that talk by Elder Bednar?  Yep, found it here.)  However, I am not an unreasonable person.  Talk to me like an adult and don't pussyfoot around the issue.  Don't play dumb to 'trap' me in my 'wrong-doing'.  And most of all, don't start yelling at me when I'm trying to have a civilized conversation with you.  That makes me angry and then I yell back, and then we accomplish nothing but more hurt feelings on all sides.  Be calm, be upfront and direct, and ask nicely, you just may get what you seek.  As it stands, I'm not changing what I wrote.  I put it there for a reason, and you weren't named.

If you don't like what I write, don't read it.

This entry was posted on Thursday, June 23, 2011 at Thursday, June 23, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Well said, Amber! I totally agree, people need to be direct and honest rather than passive aggressive. I'm sorry for whatever happened... but keep on posting whatever you feel like!

June 23, 2011 at 1:57 PM

AMEN!!! I feel the same. I had issues with some people hating everything on my blog and taking offense, and I told them they didn't have to read it. I'm not forcing people to read the blog. I love that talk by Elder Bednar. I think everyone needs to hear that. If you're offended, IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT. Great post!!

June 23, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Post a Comment