New Adventures  

Posted by Amber

This week, Matt and I were released as Primary workers.  Not going to lie, Matt's excited.  Primary has not been a favorite for him.  (We struggle with controlling our class for 40 minutes . . . or 5 minutes for that matter :). )

For now, Matt is calling-less - except for home teaching.  For all we know, he may still be on the scout committee too - not sure since they never really said anything when we were called to Primary.  Either way, he figures he's set for awhile because he told the counselor that his nights and weekends are booked for awhile with school. (Partly true.  Night classes so far until he finishes his bachelors in a year, and then his Friday nights and Saturdays will be full with grad school.)

I, however, have been called to be the 1st counselor in the Primary presidency.  Our previous 1st counselor (who lived in our building and was my visiting teaching companion) just bought a house with her family (their first :) ), so they are moving, and this week was their last week.  So I am to take her place.  

When the bishopric counselor called us Saturday night, we figured we were being released.  Then I thought, "We haven't even been in a year, why would they take us out?"  So I knew someone (probably me since girls can teach alone but boys can't) was getting called to something else.  Thoughts ran through my mind of what it would be.  The callings I would love to have were recently changed.  I hoped it wasn't Young Women's (the idea of going back to camp is not appealing, not to mention, with my work schedule, mutual attendance isn't going to happen).  Then I remembered Jill had announced the week before they were moving.  I kind of thought this was the direction things were going, so I wasn't surprised really when I was asked to be 1st counselor.  If anything, I'm kind of excited to stay in Primary because I'm comfortable there, having been in Primary for 2 1/2 years.

Lots of people have offered me their congratulations.  I'm sure most meant it, but I like what Matt said about it (because it fits sort of how I feel about this new calling).  He said what they really meant by it was, "Better you than me."  Made me laugh. :)  I am excited, and a bit nervous.  Beyond Sunday sharing times and the like, I don't know what the Primary presidency is in charge of, or, more specifically, what the 1st counselor is over.  We have a meeting Wednesday, so I'm sure I'll get lots of insight then :)  I'm also serving with two amazing women, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

I admit I'm excited not to have to teach a class (unless someone doesn't show - see previous statement about them not sitting still!)  I was so excited when classes didn't have to do Sharing Times this year, because I hated coming up with ideas.  However, maybe it won't be so bad to do Sharing Time when that's all I have to focus on (not that and a lesson, and how to involve my class in the Sharing Time lesson).

So for right now, I'm a bit excited, more nervous, and just don't know what's going on.  Hopefully that will get better after Wednesday.  If not, I should be okay in a month, right? :)

This entry was posted on Monday, January 10, 2011 at Monday, January 10, 2011 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Congrats on the new calling/adventure! I was in that same position when we had been married about the same length of time, before children arrived. I absolutely LOVED that calling!!! It was so fun and rewarding. I was over the cub scouts and the quarterly activities. We, too, had been primary teachers for the first 1 1/2 years of our marriage together, but then they released Randy. Months later I was called into the presidency and was a bit, shall we say, shocked? I felt very overwhelmed by the calling, but it was the best one I've had so far. I cried when they released our presidency.I hope you love it just as much!

By the way, when I was put in the previous 1st counselor told me that blessings would come my way for being willing to serve in such a capacity. 2 months later we found out we were expecting Brinton. So watch for those blessings to come your way as well! Good luck!!!

January 11, 2011 at 9:47 AM

That would be awesome - but something tells me we won't be blessed in the same way :) I'll let you know for sure if we are, though.

January 11, 2011 at 10:14 AM

Post a Comment