Asociación Museo del Automovil-Colección Nicolini  

Posted by Amber in , , ,

Saturday, October 17th, we hit another museum on our short list - the vintage car museum. It's out in La Molina near our friends Abby and Rob's house, so we invited them to go with us. We also invited Andrés and Licet. I mean....Andrés is going to have to drive us anyway....may as well make it enjoyable for him too!


Again with the sleeping. Andrés loved Andrew's little chullo :)

Abby suggested we first meet at her house for lunch, so we did just that. She had her empleada make lomo saltado, and it was fabulous. We all chatted. Abby got to practice her Spanish. (She's way better than me now! Probably has something to do with still taking lessons haha) There was a little missionary discussion. Thanks, Rob, for showing me how to do better missionary work :) even if I didn't understand fully how we got on the subject at the time. :)


 Waiting for lunch - I had to whip my phone out because I turned around, and all three of them were playing Clash on their phones :)

Eliza painted watercolors of my children. I had to snap photos because I wasn't sure if they'd survive the traveling or not.

The kids went to play. The boys went to play. The girls stayed in and chatted. Henlie eventually showed back up, and apparently she had not gone to the yard to play with the other kids, but instead went upstairs to play with their toys. :) The guys played some soccer and then some frontón. Eliza ended up joining the ladies for a bit while we chatted. Thanks to Abby's bit of Spanish, my ability to understand context, and Abby's empleada, we had a fun time chatting, and I think we all even understood most of what was going on haha.

Eventually, we loaded up and headed over to the museum. Basically, this guy Jorge Nicolini used to be a race car driver. Now he's like 88 years old, and he has amassed a huge collection of old cars and restored a lot of them. Some are in process, and you get to see that, too. (Side note, admission was rather pricey by Peru standards. It was like S/.40 for adults, which is still only like $11, but I'm used to things like this being S/.10 or less.)

There are three basically warehouses or giant garages. The first had some finished cars and some in-process cars, along with spare parts and some other stuff in an upstairs level that was like storage.

 How I love the little Fiat!

If you happened to fall on that Packard hood ornament, I'm pretty sure you'd die :)

The second had some finished cars.

 Random rooster statue and a fun tree


Check out the BMW trike :)

The third is what you would call the museum. Things were nicely laid out and there were informational signs to go with the cars, some vintage sign décor, and even an old gas pump. Other bonus? Signs in English and Spanish. Only this time, I didn't care to actually read the signs haha. I mostly looked at what the car was and how old it was. I did take pictures of a lot of them, though, so I could look at them later if I wanted.




When we finished, we hung around outside chatting for awhile. They had a little kid's slide thing and a lawn area. Henlie mostly played on the slide. The older girls ran around, danced, and Eliza showed off her winning gymnastics floor routine on the lawn. Eventually, we made our way to the cars and headed home.


The oldest car in the collection from 1901.


The cars were fun to look at. I like old cars :) Plus, it was something I'm sure Matt enjoyed. It was even better to share it with friends, and having the added social time at Rob and Abby's house made it even better. It was also nice to mix our Peruvian and American friends.

This entry was posted on Thursday, October 29, 2015 at Thursday, October 29, 2015 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment