PSYCH!
What? You thought we were done? hahahahahahahaha
Well, we would have been, but there ended up being a little more to our trip. The title is a little misleading as this last bit didn't actually happen in Utah.
You see, we ended up switching airlines for the return flight. Instead of using American Airlines and LAN going through LAX, we ended up using Delta and going through Atlanta.
We made it to Atlanta just fine. In fact, it was kind of nice because we didn't have to go through security again like we did in LA. Also, Atlanta has this fun little train thing between concourses, so we even had less walking to do.
Our flight to Lima was supposed to depart at 6pm EST. However, there was a maintenance issue. They thought it would be a quick thing, so they went ahead and boarded. Since we have kids, we got to board first. (Also, I need to give a shout-out to the Delta ladies. We didn't have all of our seats together on either flight, and they managed to work things so we could sit together on the international flight.)
At first, the air conditioning wasn't working. Thankfully, they got that working, but there was another bit that wasn't working. It ended up taking a bit longer, so they halted boarding and said if anyone wanted to, they could go back to the gate waiting area while they finished up. Matt decided it was easier to stay (you had to take all of your stuff with you if you de-planed), so we hung out. Henlie ran around like a crazy person. I started watching the live action Cinderella. (Oh yeah, since there wasa wait, they turned on the in-flight entertainment system.) We chatted with one flight attendant in particular. She was super nice.
Daddy entertaining Andrew on the plane while we waited.
Eventually, they decided it was going to be even longer, so they required the rest of us who had opted to stay on the plane to collect our things and de-plane. I think I'll let my Facebook tell the next part of the story.
6:45pm:
45 minutes delayed and still waiting. Pray for the maintenance to get fixed.
7:11pm:
Going to be at least another hour. frown emoticon
8:59pm:
Three hours and counting. Last we heard, they were looking for a part.
We had clowns on our flight. His head is in that ball...
9:27pm:
In theory departure is at 10:30 now (4.5 hour delay). They're still looking for a part and they do not have a spare aircraft. Yay.
Juggling. Yes, she flew in that outfit. :)
9:47pm:
They've found a part and are installing it. Then they'll test it. Still shooting for a 10:30 departure.
Henlie finally fell asleep.
10:16pm:
We're at an 11:30 departure time. Hopefully it sticks.
.
.
.
.
Oh the suspense, I know!
.
.
.
.
11:00pm:
This just in - flight cancelled. Matt's getting a hotel voucher now.
That is right, middle of the night and they finally cancel our flight. It was not a great experience, but we bonded with some fellow plane-mates. Delta procured food for us for dinner. And they did pay for the hotel. They also provided little toiletry bags with a shirt, toothbrush and paste, deoderant, and a comb. (There may have been something else, but I don't recall now.)
Aug. 5th 10:20am:
They've booked us on a 3pm flight direct to Lima this afternoon. Hopefully all goes well and I can find some diapers for Andrew at the airport somewhere...
I was concerned about diapers for Andrew, but I ended up having enough. Poor Henlie got an eye infection our last night in Utah. I had nothing to give her for it, but fortunately, I remembered breastmilk is supposed to be great for those. Also fortunately, I am lactating haha, so I squirted her in the eye at the hotel. Turns out it really is awesome. The swelling and redness was noticeably decreased. So much so, that even Matt agreed it was helping after the first application.
Sleepy Andrew
Our room.
1:40pm:
So the Quality Inn they put us up in was nice and had a full breakfast. They gave us some toiletries from Delta with our vouchers. Atlanta is pretty. We had to get tickets reissued, but all it took was some waiting. TSA was so happy and nice. Atlanta also apparently is more lax on security. No one had to take off shoes or jackets, just empty keys and phones from pockets. They said they only needed stuff off if you set off the alarm. They didn't even check Henlie's sippy, although they did check the sippy of the lady behind us.
Matt let Henlie do his hair.
Our hotel voucher was at a Quality Inn. I was okay with this as I like Quality Inns. Matt was greatly impressed with the Southern hospitality. Henlie got her own queen bed and the rest of us shared another. I did have extra clothes for me and the kids. I had to sleep in my contacts, though, and that was awful. lol The hotel provided a hot breakfast, and even though Delta had no spare planes and the next day's flight to Lima was booked, they did manage to fit in a second flight for all of us, departing at 3pm. They even provided lunch for us, although I had Matt go to the food court to get some Arby's instead :)
Clockwise from left: Henlie didn't want to go get a picture with the clowns, so we improvised :),
Henlie is a little too big to be a carry-on,
Me, Henlie, and Andrew taking a covert photo with the clowns,
Daddy and Henlie were tired and face-planted in their travel pillows,
Henlie fell asleep on the plane,
Selfie with Andrew.
While it wasn't ideal, flying out earlier in the day was nice, and we got to see a small snippet of Atlanta. We finally made it back to Lima that night. Only other downside was Matt's extra day to recuperate from travelling before his work campaign was gone :(
11:36pm:
We've made it home smile emoticon
This entry was posted
on Tuesday, October 13, 2015
at Tuesday, October 13, 2015
. You can follow any responses to this entry through the
comments feed
.








